Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day 2 of the Quest - Part 2

Whew! Where has the day gone??

By the way . . . HOW ABOUT THAT NEWSPAPER ARTICLE THIS MORNING? Wow. Wasn't that great?!

I want to let everyone know how pumped I am to be running for State's Attorney. Serving as State's Attorney in Jefferson County has truly been my "dream job" since I won my first case on behalf of the Native Americans back in the eighth grade at Opdyke-Belle Rive Grade School. Yes, that would have been a "mock" trial. LOL. Still, there's just something incredibly satisfying about being a part of righting wrongs.

When I first began my "official" legal career in 1997, it was right here at home - in the Jefferson County State's Attorney's Office. Now, my "unofficial" legal career began here as well when I interned with the Second Circuit Chief Judge's Office, researching legal issues and writing briefs for our Judges.

When our first son, Will, came along in 2000, I took what I thought would be a short hiatus from the prosecutor's office. However, our first son, Matt, was born in 2001. Cool, huh? Absolutely! But, at that time, the Jefferson County State's Attorney's Office had no openings - part-time or full-time. So, Brett & I decided that continuing to work from my home office would be a better plan for our family. During that time of thousands of diaper changes and baby slobber, though, I took on some contractual work with the Illinois Office of State Appellate Prosecutor as well as court appointments as a Guardian ad Litem (working on behalf of the best interests of children). In 2002, I went to work part-time in the White County State's Attorney's Office while continuing to work with a local Jefferson County agency, Lutheran Child & Family Services, helping to secure guardianships for children and their caregivers (mainly family members). Also during that time, in mid-2004 I began adoption work, which is absolutely a wonderful experience. Later on in 2004, the hour-plus drive from our home in northern Jefferson County to Carmi got to be a bit wearisome, and I resumed working primarily from home, but not for long . . .

In 2005, a part-time position with The Sharp Law Firm, P.C. presented itself and I figured I'd try my hand at the civil side of the law. Man, it was nothing like criminal law! That part-time job turned into full-time, and, as a result, I'm now rather well-versed in civil procedure (if I may say so myself) and legal writing.

In January of 2008, I got the chance to strike out on my own full-time due largely in part to my securing a contract with the Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White's Office as an Administrative Law Judge. Thus began my full-time solo practice and where I am today, "just a poor country lawyer"* doing her best to serve the legal field.

Now I have the second chance to serve my friends and family here in the Jefferson County State's Attorney's Office . . . and live out my dream job! How awesomely blessed can I get?! Can I get an "AMEN"?

Until next time . . .

MHW

* a favorite quote of an old boss (you know who you are!)

No comments:

Post a Comment